The Episcopal Church of the Ascension - Hickory, North Carolina
Sun, Apr 30|
Preparation for Confirmation & Reception into the Episcopal Church
Are you interested in delving more deeply into the core teachings and practices of the Episcopal Church? Think you might be interested in being confirmed when The Rt. Rev. Bishop José McLoughlin visits Ascension on May 21st? Join us for this one-day preparation retreat.
Time & Location
Apr 30, 10:30 AM – 6:00 PM
Hickory, 726 1st Ave NW, Hickory, NC 28601, USA
About the Event
If you would like to learn more about the Episcopal Church and/or would like to be officially received or confirmed into the Episcopal Church at the Bishop's visit on May 21st, please let Karla know, and then plan to join us for this one-day preparation retreat.
We will begin at 10:30 a.m. with Holy Eucharist with the congregation and end with the concert/evensong in the evening. Lunch will be provided. During lunch, you will be invited to share a little bit about yourself and what is calling you to the Episcopal Church. Bring along a paragraph with short answers to these questions:
- I was raised in the _____ church or no church. One thing I appreciate about the church I was raised in is ______.
- One thing I believed when I was younger was ______.
- One thing I no longer believe is ________.
- One thing that brought me to Ascension was ______.
- One thing I'm curious about is _______.
The day will be a time to explore more deeply into the beliefs of the Episcopal Church. At the end of the retreat, you can decide if you would like to make a formal commitment to the church and be confirmed or received on May 21st by the Bishop.
Retreat Schedule -- Sunday, April 30th
10:30 a.m. -- Holy Eucharist & blessing of those preparing for confirmation (with the congregation)
11:45 a.m. -- Lunch
12:30 - 5:00 p.m.
- Praying Shapes Believing - Baptism & The Sacraments
- Our Story - A Brief History of The Episcopal Church & The Anglican Communion
- The Book of Common Prayer
- Pain into Power - a deep dive into the mystery of the Eucharist
5:00 p.m. -- Evensong & Concert with Alexandria McNeely (with the congregation)