Sat, Aug 19|
Awakening the Sage Within
In this highly interactive workshop, we'll learn how to engage more deliberately, joyfully, and compassionately during our older adult years. You will leave the workshop with a personalized plan for your own aging experience. Lunch will be provided.
Time & Location
Aug 19, 2023, 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM
Hickory, 726 1st Ave NW, Hickory, NC 28601, USA
About the Event
It's critical that we each awaken the sage within ourselves so that we have a more wholesome life during our aging years. In this one-day workshop, we will:
- Learn how to live out your remaining years deliberately, joyfully, and compassionately.
- Discover sage-ing (also known as Conscious Aging) concepts through a life review, forgiveness, and issues surrounding mortality.
- Explore images of aging and the important role of spiritual development in the capstone chapter of life.
- Develop a personalized plan for your own aging experience, including service to others and leaving a legacy.
The cost is $20 per person. Lunch will be provided. Participation is limited to 12 people so you can expect a focused, personalized experience.
If you would like more information, please contact Dr. Debbie Ellis at 828-291-6519 or email@example.com.
ABOUT THE FACILITATORS
- Debbie Ellis, Ph.D. Debbie's spiritual explorations weave together many paths. Her master’s degree in theology from Wesley Theological Seminary includes an emphasis on Adult Christian Education. Nature informs her spirituality, and she spends time in the desert with Bill Plotkin’s Animas programs. She is particularly interested in relationship with the Divine as the Beloved. Along with Animas Soul Crafting and council practices, her spirituality is informed by years of teaching yoga, meditative practice of playing the Native American flute, the Hero’s Journey, silent retreats with spiritual teacher Adjashanti, and time at the Richards Rohr’s Center for Action and Contemplation. In her varied careers, she served as a chemist in R&D and manufacturing, an adult Christian educator and retreat leader in the United Methodist Church, and as a yoga teacher. Her other interests include camping, kayaking, crocheting, and gardening. Dr. Debbie Ellis lives in Hickory NC with her husband, Bill, and their two kittens, Obi and Cara.
- David R. Dupper, Ph.D. Following a 40-year career as a social work practitioner (for 10 years) and a social work professor (for 30 years), Dave retired in August 2021. Since retiring, Dave has served as a hospice volunteer where he facilitates online and in-person grief groups. Throughout his adult life, Dave has explored and taken advantage of opportunities designed to deepen his “spiritual self” including his service as a Stephen’s Minister at Westminster Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee in the early 2000s. Dave lives in Knoxville, TN with his wife, Ann, of 42 years and their 14-year-old Golden Retriever, Sadie, as well as their two cats, Tony and Freddie. They have three grown daughters and a grandson. Dave enjoys taking and editing photos, videography, walking in the woods, and birdwatching. One of his most meaningful spiritual experiences over the past decade is his daily 30–40-minute sitting meditation to begin each day.